This Valentine’s Day, you might want to skip the reservations at that fancy restaurant and instead dine at the most comfortable restaurant in town – your home. The truth is that you don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars to make your significant other feel special. Sometimes, a delicious homecooked meal is way more romantic.
Now that you’ve decided where you’ll eat, choosing the menu can be challenging. Instead of choosing some tried and true dish, here are some ideas for creating a romantic Valentine’s Day meal you and your loved one will enjoy and remember.
Valentine’s Day Appetizer and Starters
Valentine’s Day is about sharing. So, whether you are fixing a meal for two or a small group, here are some appetizer ideas that will get your meal started in the right direction.
- Balsamic Strawberry Goat Cheese Crostini— This bite-sized Italian bread is topped with creamy goat cheese and strawberriesto create a delicious combo of sharp and sweet flavors.
- Sweetheart Salad— If you’re feeling creative, make this sweetheart saladthat involves slicing fruit using a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Chargrilled Oysters— There’s a rumor about oysters. But, just eating them is a bit sensuous. Try this recipe for some delicious cheesy chargrilled oysters.
Valentine’s Day Mains
Here is a list of main dishes you can serve for your Valentine’s Day meal:
- Seared Ribeye— A seared ribeyeis an ideal main dish to share, especially if you’ve chosen the right appetizers, sides, and dessert. A well-cooked steak is the perfect Valentine’s dinner idea.
- Grilled Filet Mignon— If you’re looking for the leanest piece of meat, a Filet Mignonis an excellent choice. You can grill it or sear it over high heat.
- Garlic Butter Lamb Chops— Lamb is pretty is a pretty classy meal if it’s something you enjoy. These garlic butter lamb chopscan be served with a simple salad and vegetable side.
- Braised Short Ribs— These delicious braised short ribsare cooked slowly and will give you and your loved one a meal that is packed with flavor.
- Pork Ragu— If you’re looking for something different and flavorful that is also going to produce some leftovers, consider making this Pork Ragufor Valentine’s day. It can be served over any type of pasta, but pappardelle is an excellent choice.
- Coq Au Vin— This is a super flavorful classic chicken recipe. Your coq au vinis braised in a red wine sauce that brings out a ton of flavor in the dish.
- Fettuccine Alfredo— If you’d like to serve a decadent pasta dish this Valentine’s day, look no further than a classic Fettuccine Alfredo.
- Simple Chicken Parmesan— Another popular pasta dish that is also a good comfort meal is Chicken Parmesan, which pleases even the pickiest eaters.
Valentine’s Day Side Dishes
The mains are essential. But don’t forget your side dishes. Here are some options:
- Sweet Potato Casserole— If you want something sweet as one of your side dishes, this sweet potato casseroleis sure to fit the bill.
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts— A simple but delicious side dish, consider including roasted Brussel Sproutsas a healthy addition to your Valentine’s meal.
- Couscous Pilaf with Sauteed Mushrooms— This couscous pilaf with sauteed mushroomsis packed with Mediterranean flavor thanks to the cumin (a symbol of love and fidelity) and coriander ingredients.
Valentine’s Day Desserts
It’s not truly Valentine’s Day without a delicious dessert. Top off your meal with one of these decadent treats:
- Chocolate Bundt Cake— This is a simple recipe for chocolate bundt cakethat anyone at your table will love.
- Chocolate-covered Strawberries— A must-have for many Valentine’s couples, here’s how you can make chocolate-covered strawberriesthat will impress.
- Slow Cooker Apple Crisp— It’s still cold outside. So, think about using your slow cooker to work on a scrumptious apple crispwhile you enjoy the main event. If you’re brave, add a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream on the side.
Valentine’s Day Wine & Spirits
There are probably too many wine and spirits options to list for your Valentine’s Day meal. After all, what you choose will depend on your particular tastes and menu selections. Some popular choices include champaign, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, as well as your choice of microbrews that pair well with various meal selections.
Get Help With Your Romantic Meal from Nick’s of Calvert
Now that you have some options for your romantic Valentine’s Day meal, let Nick’s of Calvert help with the ingredients you need. We offer one-stop shopping for all of your meat, grocery, and liquor needs. If you need a particular cut of meat or just want some suggestions for your special meal, we’d be happy to help. Stop into our store or give us a call at (410) 414-7105.